Saturday, September 13, 2008

Growing Immersion




The past two weeks have gone by terribly fast. We have thoroughly enjoyed becoming lovingly enthralled with our new culture. It is so exciting to learn something new about Korea each day. It's like being able to do a very in-depth, immersed study of one culture for two course classes in college. The differences of our cultures continues to wow me. For example, at their weddings, everyone who attends puts money down to pay for the reception food afterwards. Also, there is so little crime in Korea that the police do not carry guns. In school, as a teacher, you don't have little fights or children intentionally trying to physically hurt another child. It just doesn't happen. Which I think is very refreshingly nice.

But why I wonder? Grant and I have talked about this a few times, and we think it is because they have a very works-based culture/religious views (Confucious views). In their world system, basically if they mess up once, it's over for them. In our country, it is very sad to say and even I have been guilty of this before, we take advantage of our freedoms especially grace. In the states, we live in a very grace-filled atmosphere, where a lot of times, we get a second chance. We are overly blessed in this way. God's grace is so wondrously and beautifully precious, but is not something we should take for granted. This is something I feel like He is continuously and probably will forever be teaching and showing me.

I'm sorry that I haven't written in awhile, I have been sick, and now sadly I've gotten Grant sick as well ): It was only a little cold or something. Just a slight fever with drainage. We have also been busy exploring our new world and trying new things. I've definitely tried some things that I'm not a fan of. I have officially tried sushi food and am not an advocate for it in anyway. However, I do love a new dish that I've tried: Bi Bim Bop! I love the name. It is a vegetable dish with a sunny-side up eye on top. It is very fresh and tasty. We have officially tried the McDonalds restaurant in Korea. The portions are a ton smaller. Poor Grant was disappointed by the size of his cheeseburger. I had some spicy chicken tenders which were really good. I feel bad for Grant because there are a lot more things that I don't like in comparison to him who likes pretty much anything!

I can delightfully say that we found a place in town that sells GELATO called Ti~Amo which reminded me of Abby and Zach and their many and recent travels in Italy! It is so very rich and tantalizing! I almost had a heart-attack while eating it(Grant got a kick out of watching me enjoy it).

We also have found a really nice shopping district with shops like Merrell, Nike, Adidas, Head, and a two-story North Face store(which I love). Apparently in Korea, they love their sports stores. We also made a big purchase(at least a big purchase for us right now)we bought yoga mats. We both really enjoy doing pilates and yoga, but we couldn't do it until now because all of our floors our wood. They have a ton of cute clothes for very cheap prices here in Korea. It will be fun to go shopping sometime soon! Hopefully, when we get paid!

We had to get a physical last week for the Korean government. They had to take blood, urine, sweat, and tears from us or least that is what it felt like. They had to test for AIDS and drugs and all that jazz! We also went to the dentist during our physical, and the dentist was inside of the hospital, very weird. They determined that Grant had one of his fillings come out, therefore, they had to re-fill his tooth.
We are enjoying our daily commutes to school but are looking forward to moving to the "city"(As you can see in our photo). Last week we started going to a new church. We really enjoyed this church and felt very warmly accepted into it. We met some new friends, a married couple: Chris and Jewa(probably not how you spell it). They are wonderful Christians and very real people. We went with them to a Gospel Hip Hop Concert at the Osan Air Base which Chris hosted. It was very special and a lot of fun. There was a rapper there that used to open up for Outkast. He was an amazing rapper, it was really awesome to see how God has worked in his life! Chris and Jewa also have amazing testimonies how Christ has totally changed their lives around. There was a gospel choir, dance ministry (the picture to the left), rappers, poetry readings, and astounding testimonies!

Teaching is still going very well! I LOVE my kindergarten students! They are so much fun! The only downside of our jobs is the lack of creativity in the curriculum, however, the plus side is that we can do pretty much whatever we want teaching-wise as long as it gets the kids talking in English. This opens the door to multiple possibilities and various creative lesson plans. This is probably the easiest teaching job that I will ever have in my life! I'm loving it!

We miss you all very much! Please keep in touch as much as possible! Though our new adventures are very exciting and enertaining, we have not forgotten any of you! We think of you all very often and love you very much! We would love to hear how you are doing.

Until next time...

Here are some of my most recent and favorite pictures:

1. An adorable coffee shop by Osan Air Force Base(I love the name)
2. Students acting crazy!
3. A beautiful park right by our home.
4. This ones for Alicia aka Leech: It made me think of you!
5. This is what I feel like after a LONG day in the city!
6. Here is one of my favorite gates near our place.
7. Itsy bitsy spider climbed up... ain't it a beauty!
8. My favorite gate once again.














3 comments:

Abigail Boatwright said...

Thanks for the update girlfriend! How did you get that photo to look spinny? Love that effect. miss you a lot.

Alicia said...

haha i love the random Leech website. And someday I have to try Bi Bim Bop - that is awesome. Great post - miss you too!!!

Our Green Nest said...

LOVE the Roman Holiday coffee house - aahh, LOVE that movie! It's one of my faves! Looks so pretty there - I want to see more!